Call for Free Consultation- 847-855-8447

Paternity FAQ

Paternity: Frequently Asked Questions

At Gravel & Wechter P.C. we are dedicated to family law. Our attorneys understand how important family is to our clients and believe there are no problems — only solutions.

Our Gurnee, Illinois, office handles many questions regarding paternity. Below are the most frequently asked questions about paternity issues, along with general answers.

Do I need a paternity test?

It depends. If you and the child’s mother were married when the child was born, or 300 days prior to when they were born, you could be legally assumed to be the father.

If there is no dispute over who is the child’s father, parents can also complete a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity (VAP) to have the father’s name put on the birth certificate. If a man’s name is on the birth certificate, they are considered to be the father. Genetic paternity testing may be ordered when parents are unsure as to who the child’s biological father is.

How do I get child support in Illinois?

Once paternity has been established, either through a DNA test or by signing a VAP, both parents are responsible for providing for the child.

Will my boyfriend automatically be considered the father?

If you were not married when the child was born, probably not. Even if you live together or plan to get married, his name cannot be on the child’s birth certificate until paternity is established through the legal system or through a VAP.

How can I get parenting time?

Once paternity is established, biological fathers generally have a right to ask for parenting time or decision-making abilities for their child. In most cases, a court will assume a child benefits from having both parents involved in their life.

Call Now To Get Answers To Your Paternity Questions

No two cases are the same, and these answers should not be taken as legal advice. Contact us today to get the answers you need.

If you would like to discuss your particular case, call 847-380-3175 to schedule a initial consultations at no charge with a lawyer. You can also use our online contact form to make an appointment.